When I was working on my Kurai cosplay last year, gothic and elegant gothic fashion inspired me a lot when it came to designing the details of the dress that couldn’t be seen well on the only picture that exists of that outfit. After browsing through countless pictures of visual-kei rockers, I decided to try my hand at dramatic eye make up. I wanted highly pigmented red eye make up and after trying a few powder shadows (and being sorely disappointed), Fé recommended I try Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Cream in Red/#8.
Color #8 is actually marketed as a cheek and lip color, but it works just as fine on eyelids. All the Aqua Cream colors are marked as eye shadows in Europe, but not in Canada because it contains some ingredients that, by North American regulations, are advised not to be used in sensitive areas (such as around the eyes).
$22 US / $25 CAD
- Extremely pigmented! I don’t think any powder eye shadow will give as much color payoff without having indecent quantities applied on your eyelids. You only need to apply a little bit of this product too.
- Once dry, the color will not smudge. You can rub it all you want and it simply won’t move. I think it’s a great advantage for cosplayers since conventions tend to be hot and can make us sweat. No worries with this eye shadow.
- Many colors available. I bought the #8 Red color which is not an easy color to find in eye shadows. Actually, some shades are formulated to be lip/cheek colors, but it works just as fine for your lids.
- A little goes a long way.
- A bit pricey, but I think it will last a long time (see Pros #4).
- It dries quickly and once dry the color won’t move, so you have to do any blending rather fast.
Overall Rating: 9